I made this cake for a high tea and it was a real crowd pleaser. The beautiful colours of the fresh berries made it a stunning centrepiece.
1 ¼ cups polenta
1 cup plain flour
2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
¾ cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tin coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of one orange
For the whipped cream topping
1 400ml can coconut cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
- This cake is best eaten on the same day or it can dry out a bit. Also, the coconut cream won’t hold its shape like dairy cream so whip the coconut cream at the very last minute and serve immediately.
- Put the coconut cream, a medium mixing bowl and beaters in the fridge so that they can chill overnight.
Method – The cake
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Use cooking spray to grease your cake tin (I have a cool star shaped one that I got from Ikea but you can use square or round or whatever you have).
- Put the polenta into your food processor and blend it for a minute or so to get it a little bit finer.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Blend to combine.
- Add the coconut milk, oil, orange zest and vanilla. Blend until just combined. Don’t over-mix it.
- Pour cake mix into prepared tin, and bake in oven for 20 min. Rotate tin and check progress. Then bake for another 20 min. Insert cake skewer into centre of cake and ensure that it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for half an hour, and then remove from tin.
Note: the cake has to be completely cool before putting cream on top or it will melt.
Method – the whipped coconut cream and topping
- While the cake is cooking, wash and chop the berries that you will be using on top of cake.
- Get the chilled bowl and beaters out of fridge. Then carefully get the coconut cream out of the fridge (the cream and liquid should have separated and we don’t want to mix it up).
- Open the tin and scoop out all of the firm cream from the top of the tin, being careful not to get any liquid. Put into the chilled bowl.
- Sift the icing sugar into the chilled bowl, and add the vanilla extract.
- Beat until it goes firm like dairy whipped cream.
- Spoon onto the centre of the cake and then put the berries on top (don’t bother putting the cream around the outsides of the cake because it will start to drop and will cover these areas anyway).
- Serve immediately.